What information do I need for my Self Assessment Tax Return?

A Self Assessment Tax Return Guide

Get ahead of the curve and begin collating the relevant records we need to be able to complete yourself assessment tax return for the tax year ending 6th April 2024. 

The records we require will relate to the period 5th April 2023 to 6th April 2024. 

Whilst you have until 31 January 2025 to file your return, the sooner it is filed the longer you have to plan for the payment of any tax due. 

Please provide us with copies of the following items, where applicable.

Employment Income

If you are employed and/or receive PAYE, we will need:

  • Your P60(s) if you were in employment between 6th April 2023 and 5th April 2024 
  • Your P45(s) if you left employment between 6th April 2023 and 5th April 2024
  • Form P11D(s) detailing any Benefits in Kind received e.g. company car or private medical insurance. (Please note, your employer has until 6 July following the end of the tax year to provide you with this).

If you have been in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance at any point during the tax year, please provide details of the amount received. 

If you are a director of a limited company and we manage your payroll, this information is already available to us. 

Self Employed Income

If you are Self Employed and run your own business, we will need:

  • Sales and Purchase Invoices covering the period 6th April 2023 to 5th April 2024
  • Your bank statement(s) covering the period 6th April 2023 to 5th April 2024
  • Your credit card statement(s) covering the period 6th April 2023 to 5th April 2024

Ideally you will have a separate bank account for business transactions however if you don’t, please highlight the relevant transactions on your personal bank/credit card statements. 

If you use online bookkeeping software, please notify us when this is up to date and fully reconciled. 

If you maintain a manual log please send this to us for our reference.

Rental Income

If you own any rental property, we will need:

  • Details of any new rental properties not already known to us
  • Details of the rental income you have received for each property
  • Your rental expenses e.g. management charges, repairs & maintenance, etc.

It is good practice to keep a separate record of receipts, invoices and bank statements relating to your rental property(s). 

Pension Income 

  • State Pension details – HMRC will normally issue a letter annually covering this.
  • Private Pension details – you should receive a P60 from your pension provider. 

Other Income, we need to know about incudes:

Income from Bank Interest

  • A schedule of any bank or building society interest – your bank should issue you with a statement for each bank account showing how much interest you received for the tax year or you can add up the amounts for each month yourself. 

Income from Dividends

  • Dividend Vouchers of any personal investments plus any dividends from your own company, if applicable. 

If you are a director of a limited company and we complete your company accounts then we will review your dividends as part of our accounts service. 

Capital Gains Tax

If you sold any shares, property, crypto or other assets in the tax year, we will need a breakdown of what was sold, when and for what amount, along with details of how much you originally paid for the asset and when you acquired it.

Foreign Income

If you are a UK resident, then you need to declare your foreign income on your Tax Return. You will need to provide details of any foreign income received during the tax year including any foreign tax paid

Other Income for your Self Assessment Tax Return

If you have any other income not mentioned above then discuss this with us.

Once you have got what you need for your Self Assessment Tax Return, please email all relevant items to [email protected]

Share this article!